Hey everyone!!! It's so cool that I'm finally in Jerusalem
writing to everyone back home! I never thought about actually being in
Jerusalem so to be here looking back on the last few days is crazy to me! I
hope everything is going well for everyone in their lives.
I think
I'm still in stun mode from arriving here. It really hasn't sunk in yet that
I'm in Jerusalem. Every morning I wake up at around 4:45 to morning prayer and
get up around 5:15. Muslims pray five times a day and the mosques have a call to prayer where somebody recites the Koran through massive speakers. There are three mosques near the Center, so we
usually hear the prayers well. I actually really like hearing it, even if it is so
early in the morning. I've been trying to adjust my sleeping schedule while I
am in my semi-coherent, jet-lagged state to where I get up earlier. My body's
whacked out so I'm trying to take advantage of it. But I might have ruined my
training because this morning I woke up at five and then fell asleep and slept
until EIGHT THIRTY!!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!! Tomorrow I will wake up at 5:00
so help me!!!
| View of Jerusalem. Dome of the Rock is on the right |
The
only problem is I CAN'T SPEAK THE LANGUAGE!!!!! ARHGWUJHGAE;IOHGVKJ!!!! In East
Jerusalem they speak Arabic and in West Jerusalem they speak Hebrew.
Fortunately pretty much everyone we need to talk to speaks English, but it is
still frustrating to not be able to read the signs or understand people when
they're talking to each other. Hopefully I'll get used to it. I guess I'm too
used to Latin America, where I basically can understand and speak freely.
Today
is the Sabbath, which is a little weird. In the US the Sabbath is on Sunday,
but here it's Saturday. After church we walked to the Garden of Gethsemane. It wasn't
really anything like I expected. I guess in my mind I imagined it to be a
natural garden with lots of olive trees, quiet and shady and peaceful. But in
reality it is a gated off square of land with paths and mostly bare ground,
except for about six olive trees. It wasn't bad, necessarily, just different
than what I was expecting. It was really cool to be in the place I have
read about in the scriptures. There's a
lot of meaning in Gethsemane for me, since my favorite gospel topic is the
Atonement.
In
other news, I have a received a very important job here at the Jerusalem
Center: I am on the Mail and Linen Committee. This basically means that I have
the crucial responsibility of checking off people's names when they drop their
linen off to get washed. It also means that I sort the mail. Obviously society would collapse without me. In my opinion it's
pretty much the best job ever.
PS: The reason all of my paragraphs are weird is
because my internet is in Hebrew, and so the blog maker is trying to format it
in Hebrew, which reads from right to left. I attempted to fix it. Obviously
didn't do much. Have fun!
wow wow just reading this post gives me a million songs I want to send you. Though I guess YOU'LL JUST HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL YOU GET BACK! but also this post is really cool.
ReplyDeleteAlso: where I work the sabbath is on saturday, so there are almost no people there. That and storms. It's great.
Don't forget to take pictures, tiny lips!
ReplyDeleteMan, I wish I could see all of that and experience it too (except for the waking up at 5 a.m part)
Keep it up! Have fun and learn lots and lots of stuffffff!!!
MichMiiiich